Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yoga with Chunky

I enjoy having enough space when I go to yoga sessions and it beats me why people like to lay their mats so close to me when there's plenty of space around. Especially when the guy next to me is a big guy. Having done this on and off for a number of years I have a good idea of the space required for the different poses. I suspect this big chunky gym guy didn't have a clue.

So I surreptitiously tried to adjust my mat to give us some space without looking like I'm trying to move away from him. I didn't want him to think that he smells funny or something. There was definitely going to be some arm slapping when we swan dive if we stay in that proximity.

Danger loomed from the beginning. We began the practice on our backs and extended our right legs in the air using a strap. As the instructor had us lower the leg to the left, I found myself staring at chunky's big foot, which was hanging about three feet from my face. I considered what would be the worst situation - if it landed on my face, throat or chest. Chunky started to grunt a little like he was benchpressing. You can do it! I encouraged silently and prayed that he hang on so I won't get a taste of his foot. We came out of the pose and I was safe for the moment.

A little more into the practice we must have moved into some kind of a lunge or extended side angle pose. I twisted to the right and horror struck once more as I caught a glimpse of Chunky's protruding veins. These were no ordinary veins. They must have been thicker than my fingers. I swear there must be aliens residing in those. If I'd continued gazing at them they'll pop right out and rear their bloodthirsty heads at me. I gather myself and turned my gaze elsewhere. Concentrate...concentrate.

The rest of the practice went by smoothly. This was my third practice of the week and the first time that I've actually practiced three times in a week, which was really effective for building stamina and resistance. For the first time I found myself able to lower from a plank position without collapsing, a great feat for my weak flabby arms.

Most importantly, for the first time in my life I started to embrace and enjoy fitness. Instead of lamenting exercise is a chore and complaining that I had to make time for it, I actually start to prioritze it. Because of the effort I put in, I think twice before I eat, and make more eat-this-not-that choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment